Skip to main content

Licensed Mooring FAQ

Answers to common questions about the Rottnest Island mooring system.

Important information when mooring your boat at Wadjemup / Rottnest island

Below are answers to common questions about how to use the licensed mooring system, and other essential information you need to bring your boat to Rottnest Island.

Don’t find what you need here? Try the Boating FAQ, email [email protected] or call Marine Administration on (+61 8) 9432 9320 with your question.

Frequently asked questions

The Shared Mooring System is available for use by licensees and authorised users. Becoming a licensee gives you priority access to a licensed mooring.

Alternatively, you can apply to become an authorised user of a mooring, as long as the mooring’s licensee gives you their consent.

You can only moor your boat where you are authorised to do so. Unauthorised use of a mooring will result in a penalty.

The coloured buoys indicate the four different types of mooring available.

  • Green. These are moorings that can be hired for daily use, from 10 am.
  • Yellow. These are private licensed moorings, part of the Shared Mooring System. Only boats that have the appropriate permit sticker may use these moorings.
  • White. These are emergency moorings for approved vessels only.
  • Red. The mooring buoy on Kingston Reef in Thomson Bay is a courtesy mooring for daytime use. It has a two-hour limit, and the maximum boat length is 24 metres. There are also five courtesy beach pens in Geordie Bay. 

You can become an authorised user of a mooring if:

  • A licensee appoints you as an authorised user; and
  • Your vessel is a suitable length for their mooring.

To become an authorised user, complete the authorisation process. You will then receive a RIA-issued sticker which you must correctly display on the port side of your boat.

Yes, RIA can appoint you to a mooring, depending on its availability. Head to the Authorised Users page to learn more about how it works.

Yes, but only if the permanent mooring swap is within the same bay. Both licensees will need to pay an administration fee once the application has been submitted and approved.

Becoming a licensee is easy. Submit your application form, pay your application fee, and you will then join the waitlist to become a licensee. When a suitable mooring becomes available, you will be contacted to arrange the mooring site licence. 

You can only join the waitlist for one bay at any given time. The length of time you will be waiting will vary, depending on the bay, its popularity, and the size of your boat.

RIA cannot provide an exact timeframe, but the average wait time is approximately 5-10 years.

If you lose your mooring or admission sticker, or it becomes damaged, yes, it can be replaced. Simply submit an application for replacement, and pay a replacement fee, and you will be sent a replacement sticker.

The best course of action is to call the boat owner and request for the boat to be removed.

During casual mooring use, skippers must remain contactable and can only leave their boat for up to 20 minutes when required. They must display their contact phone number while away from the boat.

If you cannot reach them, contact the Rottnest Island Rangers on (+61 8) 9372 9788.

Maximum Vessel Length (MVL) is calculated to determine what maximum size the boat can be to fit the mooring. This is done by using a formula that takes into account body swing radius, pickup rope length, and maximum swing room.

The Fuel Jetty enables round-the-clock access to diesel and unleaded petrol, seven days a week. It is a self-service facility, but you can call (+61) 439 964 858 or contact the Visitor Centre if you need assistance.

Drinkable water is available from the Geordie Bay Jetty and Thomson Bay Fuel Jetty, and small amounts of LPG can be purchased from the Geordie Bay General Store

No. Boat owners who have paid annual admission fees are not entitled to refunds or discounts of any kind for travelling by ferry. This is because annual admission stickers are issued to the boat, rather than the individual. They are only valid for people using that boat to travel to the island.
You can find more information in the Marine Maps  section, in the Marine and Boating Guide, or you can find their locations using the interactive map.