Skip to main content

Authorised Users

Find out how to become an authorised user of a licensed mooring.
Don’t have a mooring licence? Become an authorised user

If you do not have your own licensed mooring, there is still a way for you to access one. You can become an authorised user.

An authorised user is a boat owner who has been granted permission by a mooring licensee or Rottnest Island Authority to use their mooring site through the Shared Management System (SMS).

Included on this page

How to become an authorised user

It is easy to become an authorised user.


Once your authorised user permit application has been processed, you will be issued with an invoice. This single payment includes the below fees  and covers you for the Wadjemup boating season that runs from 1 September until 31 August. 

  • Authorised user permit fee. As an authorised user, your licence fee will vary depending on the length of your boat, and is charged at $59 per boat metre. Authorised user permit applications made after 1 April will pay 50% of the fees for the remainder of the season, ending 31 August.
  • Admission fees. The annual admission fees provides unlimited access to the reserve for the boating season.  

How to maintain your authorised user permit

Once you have received your authorised user permit and attached the yellow sticker clearly to your boat, you can now use your allocated mooring.

Keeping your authorised user status active

Your authorised user status is granted for a 12-month period and must be renewed each year if you want to retain it. All you need to do is pay your annual fee. If you do not want to renew your authorised user status, you will need to notify Rottnest Island Authority (RIA) at [email protected].

Changing your contact details

You need to notify RIA in writing if your contact details change. This ensures RIA are able to contact you about your authorised user permit when required.

All you need to do is send an email to [email protected], from your nominated email address, to advise your new contact details.

Only the person whose name is on the authorised user permit can make these changes.

Substituting an authorised vessel

As an authorised user permit holder, you are able to substitute your nominated authorised vessel for another boat that you own.

To do so:

  • Fill out an application to substitute a vessel form.
  • Get a copy of your new boat’s certificate of registration.
  • Remove and retain all permit stickers for your current boat. 
  • Mail it all to:

    Marine Administration
    Rottnest Island Authority
    PO Box 693
    Fremantle, WA 6959

If the new boat is bigger than your current one, additional authorised user fees and annual admission fees may apply. An assessment will be conducted to ensure that the larger boat is suitable for the moorings you previously used.

You also need to ensure that your new boat holds the same level of third-party legal liability.

Getting a replacement sticker

If you lose your permit sticker, or it becomes damaged, you can replace it. Simply submit an application for replacement, and pay a replacement fee, and you will be sent a replacement sticker.

 The sticker replacement fee for 2023-24 is $25 per boat and you will receive a payment link via email. 

Cancelling your permit

It is easy to cancel your authorised user permit.

Simply send an email to [email protected] requesting a cancellation. Once this is approved, return your current permit stickers, and you may be eligible for a refund.

Check the refund and cancellation terms and conditions for further details.

Navigating the Shared Mooring System

Under the Shared Mooring System, as a mooring licensee or authorised user, you are allowed to access moorings all across the island on a casual basis. This is designed to provide better access and greater flexibility for mooring licensees and authorised users looking for moorings around Wadjemup.

Learn how it works